Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Planned Parenthood ...

Susan G. Komen caved in to politics.
Within an article about SGK and Planned Parenthood I read this:

"At the heart of this issue is the shameful investigation of Planned Parenthood by House Republicans trying to score political points and appease their extreme right-wing base.  Komen should not allow these sort of partisan games to put women across America at risk."

I am sick that SGK felt the pressure to back down.
It's their policy to withdraw support from any organization that is under government investigation ... and Planned Parenthood is under investigation.
Do your investigating Republicans.
  
As Senator Patty Murray said "Politics is again coming between women and their health care needs."
In the meantime ...
I will be lacing up my sneakers and walking another 60 miles in November.
I hope you will join me.
Susan G. Komen has made an enormous difference in the war against breast cancer.
I continue to support Susan G. Komen.
The end.


5 comments:

  1. i have a different opinion here, i am definitely pro choice but i don't believe the taxpayer should pay for abortions, that's what this is about. taxpayer funds going to planned parenthood.

    sarge was pro life and i was pro choice but we both donated and canceled each other out. love you honey... see you soon.

    hugs, bee
    xoxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have no idea what I'm going to do. I'll walk, but it might be for Avon this year. My knee jerk reaction is to tell SGK to stuff it and stuff it hard, but I know I need to wait for the dust to settle.

    Part of my problem? PP isn't under investigation yet. There hasn't been a hearing, and there might not be. Right now it's just a couple of congressmen saying they want to investigate and are gathering info. If there had been an official investigation and it was proven that PP had actually used federal money for abortions, I would have no problem with SGK pulling out. It's not a pro-life or pro-choice thing; that would be illegal and SGK needs to protect itself.

    But this, putting the cart before the horse, leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. I can't decide if more good will be done by not walking or if more harm will be done. Either way, fundraising will be problematic now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My training group "Burt's Babes" is having a reunion dinner Sunday. The emails back and forth have been fast and furious. A number of the members on our team are attorneys. It will be an interesting dinner to say the least. I know that my fundraising will be a problem! I have been composing a letter in my mind ... but have to wait until we have answers and the dust has settled. SGK has done such amazing work ... this is so distressing to me. I hope everyone does the right thing. I HATE POLITICS!

      Delete
    2. No matter what I do, you can count on a donation from me this year. I'm having a hard time with the issue as a whole and what to do, but I don't have a problem supporting my friends.

      So muddled in my head. I think I'll go for a walk and ponder...

      Delete