Saturday, July 2, 2011

Stories

I am so excited to report that the dollars are beginning to come in and today I have raised over $1300 for Breast Cancer research. 
This is the time that I really start "feeling it!"
You know my story ... Cynthia, my childhood friend, a three time survivor.
Mom ... diagnosed only a few years ago ... a survivor.
My beautiful friends Phyllis and Bea... survivors. 
...
Last night I decided to read the personal stories of the three top fundraisers participating in the Atlanta 3-day.  I was blown away.
They are all young survivors.
I wept as I read their stories.
I know they won't mind if I share parts of what they wrote on their SGK blogs ... and the money they have raised so far.
...
AMY
Walking towards a cure
As most of you know, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September 2009 at the age of 36. My doctors and friends tried to prepare me for what would come. Honestly, nothing could. In the course of one year, I had 4 surgeries including a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction, 5 rounds of chemo, and sometimes as many as 4 doctor visits in one week. With that having been said, I truly feel like I am a very lucky person. I am blessed with a loving husband, 3 amazing children and the most supportive family and friends, all of whom made my journey so much easier.
Amy has raised $8,636.00
...
DEBBIE
So the next day when the doctor called to give me the pathology results, I was not surprised. It took a little while to sort it all out. Stage 2, Triple Positive, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma. And the next several months are almost a blur, I do remember the surgeon asking if I was opposed to having a mastectomy, because "that would be in my best interest". 6 rounds of chemo, topped off with a full year of Herceptin treatments, and an additional IV medicine to "keep it out of my bones" for a full 5 years (which I am nearly halfway through), and Bilateral Mastectomies with staged reconstruction surgeries and I think we now have it under control!
One other thing I do know is that I am very fortunate and truly blessed. I was wrapped with incredible support during the worst of my treatment days. And it was from that support that I drew strength.
Walking with Gratitude
So it is with Gratitude that I will walk 60 miles this October. I am grateful to all those I love who prayed for me, cooked for me, drove my kids, sat with me during treatments, listened to me, laughed and cried with me.
Debbie has raised $6,801.00
...
ARLENE
In August of 2010, I was diagnosed with LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In-Situ) and chose to have a preventative bi-lateral mastectomy. I am 47 years old. Ironically, my sister, Caryl Ann, was diagnosed with DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In-Situ) and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma two weeks prior to my mastectomy in December 2010. She had her mastectomy in February 2011 and started chemo in May 2011. As of today (06/05/11), she is halfway through with three more rounds to go. She then has five years of Herceptin to follow.

Arlene has raised $6,080.00

I am honored to have the opportunity to walk with these brave women!

1 comment: